As a student, you will never be lost for activities in Athens. The city is one of the entertainment capitals of the world.
Leisure & Culture
Cultural events including dance and theater, recitals, concerts, conferences, public lectures, gallery exhibits, sports events and marathons are an integral part of the cosmopolitan capital.
Major Theatres in Athens:
The “Hellenic Festival” was established in 1998 for the organization of music, theater, and other cultural events. Visit the official site for more info http://www.greekfestival.gr/
The National Theatre of Greece at Pireos st., stages drama performances in modern Greek with English translations provided.
More info on http://www.n-t.gr/en/
The Odeon of Herodes Atticus, is a stone theatre structure located on the southwest slope of the Acropolis of Athens. It was built in 161 AD. Today it provides one of the most important open-air venues and stages the annual Athens festival.
Megaron, the Athens Concert Hall is situated on Vasilissis Sofias Avenue, next to the American Embassy. The Megaron Hall hosts operatic, dance and drama performances in two halls.
Major Museums in Athens
- The Acropolis Museum - Home | Acropolis Museum | Official website (theacropolismuseum.gr)
- National Archaeological Museum - National Archaeological Museum (namuseum.gr)
- Benaki Museum of Greek Culture - MUSEUM OF GREEK CULTURE - Benaki Museum
- The Byzantine and Christian Museum - Byzantine and Christian Museum (byzantinemuseum.gr)
- The Museum of Cycladic Art - Museum of Cycladic Art
- The National Historical Museum - Εθνικό Ιστορικό Μουσείο Ε.Ι.Μ (nhmuseum.gr)
- The War Museum - Home - War Museum
- B & M Theocharakis Foundation for the Fine Arts and Music - B&M Theocharakis Foundation for the Fine Arts and Music (thf.gr)
- Goulandris Natural History Museum - Goulandris Natural History Museum (gnhm.gr)
- Museum of Modern Greek Culture - Museum of Modern Greek Culture (mnep.gr)
You can find information regarding free admission to archaeological sites, historical sites, monuments and museums owned by the State in the following link:
Free admission to archaeological sites, historical sites, monuments and museums owned by the State (culture.gov.gr)
Onassis Cultural Centre (OCC) - Stegi | Onassis Foundation
Onassis Cultural Center (Stegi) is a centre of arts in Athens created by the Onassis Foundations. With its productions and exhibitions, the OCC is a place of theatre, performance, dance, music, cinema, design, exhibitions, conferences, and lectures. It also hosts various festivals with local and international artists. The building itself is beautiful and on the roof terrace, you can visit the restaurant that offers a magnificent view of Athens.
Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre (SNFCC) - SNFCC | SNFCC
The Stavros Niarchos Cultural Centre opened a few years back and has since become the most popular cultural spot for locals and international guests who come to see this sustainable, world-class cultural, educational, and recreational urban complex that includes a prestigious National Library of Greece and the Greek National Opera, located within the Stavros Niarchos Park; an ideal place to spend the day with the family or friends.
Food & Drink in Athens
Athens is a great city to taste Greek cuisine (but not only Greek). Steeped in history and lapped by the Mediterranean Sea, Greece is home to some of the finest ingredients in the world, which offer an abundant traditional cuisine.
Food & Drink - Study in Greece